Thursday, May 13, 2010

Raspberry Leaf Tea

I'm not a fan of pills. I think that they have their place, but people have a tendency to over-rely on them without thinking about the consequences of over use are. It's well-known that acetaminophen, for example, is absolutely brutal on the liver. For quite a while, I've been only using medicine when I absolutely needed it (e.g. pain that was so bad I could barely function). Last week in class, my professor had us do an energy exercise using western medicines, and it was staggering. We held a pill (any allopathic pill) in our hands, and felt its energy. I tried it with Tylenol, and it was staggering. Its energy was heavy, damp, and gross. I felt sluggish, and after about a minute of focusing on it, I started to feel sick to my stomach. My classmates had equally unpleasant experiences with the various pills they were working with. The other students who were doing the exercise with analgesics (aspirin, advil, and tylenol), felt the same things I did. We then did the same exercise using a medicinal herb, and it couldn't have been more different. The energy of the herb, astragalus, was clean, warming, and cleansing

Needless to say, after that, I haven't been too excited about taking medicine at all, and I'm on the lookout for alternative cures. My new favorite is raspberry leaf tea. It takes care of menstrual cramps like nothing I've ever tried before. It's not the most delicious tea ever - it tastes a little like artichoke, but its healing properties more than make up for the unexciting flavor.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting, but perhaps an object lesson in why we do double blind tests. How, do you think, your knowledge that one was an allopathic pill and one was a Tylenol influenced your perception? Assumptions, and presumptions are part of everyone's outlook; the trick isn't pretending that some of us are above them, but, rather, figuring out how to overcome the burden they place on us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an intersting and definitely valid point. This was by no means supposed to be an exhuastive study, but rather an opportunity to look at something we take for granted from a different angle. Of course, our perceptions have a huge effect on us. It would be fun to try the same exercise without knowing what product was being used. There would still be the problem that it's an entirely subjective experience, and that you can't quantify feelings, but it would be interesting to see if the results were anything like the first results.

    ReplyDelete