Saturday, August 27, 2011

Natural Medicine vs. Western Medicine

I am a huge fan of natural medicine. When I get sick or experience pain, I turn to herbs, acupuncture, diet changes, and other natural remedies long before I look to western medicine. When I get congested, I pull out the Neti pot, do steam inhalations, and/or take a tincture rather than pop a couple of Sudafed. Most of the time, it works amazingly well, and I'm able to go about my business.

Many people don't understand why I choose natural remedies instead of over-the-counter medicines and prescriptions. After all, many natural remedies haven't been proven to work through double blind research studies, and the FDA doesn't have the same strict regulations on herbs that it does on drugs (though to be clear, the FDA has extremely strict regulations on the production of herbs and herbal products. They require rigorous testing to make sure that the products that get to the shelves of stores are safe. They just don't verify the claims that are made on the packaging. If a product has been proven to be unsafe, the FDA will take it off the shelves. For a little more info, check out this page.) Natural remedies may require more work (a steam inhalation, for instance takes 10-15 minutes and access to a stove, a pot, and a towel - fine when you're at home, but challenging if you're at work).

For me, there are a few reasons:

My body is extremely sensitive, and if there is some obscure side effect of a drug, there's a good chance that I'll get it. With several different over the counter medications, I have had had very scary experiences, and in one case, an OTC was slowly putting my life in danger. Prescription medications have also given me horrific side effects. I have experienced far fewer side effects from natural remedies (that isn't to say there aren't any - just that my experiences have been better)

In some situations, I've tried western medicines, and they haven't done anything for me, but natural remedies have fixed my problems.

Many conditions that western medicine can only fix with dangerous or addictive medicines can be safely regulated with natural remedies - especially pain. Natural medicines can also correct some problems that western medicine can only correct with surgery.

I have spent a lot of time with plants. I like plants. Plants can provide us with most of what we need. Western medicine takes components of plants, isolates them, and increases them. In nature, plants have many components, all of which interact with each other. In many cases, one component will mitigate the negative effects of another, or one will magnify the effects of another (this is also true of herbal combinations). I have found that using the whole plant instead of specific constituents can provide gentler, more complete healing.

If I am preparing the remedies myself, I can be sure that the ingredients I am using meet my requirements for sustainability. Many herbal companies (though not all) are committed to protecting the environment and use only organic growing methods. I have been able to visit several farms and production plants and have a really good grasp on what companies I want to support. Western drugs are often produced by companies that are more interested in making a profit than making people better or protecting the planet.

Natural remedies can often be used as preventative care, whereas western medicine is almost exclusively used after a problem has arisen.

That all being said, there are times when western pharmaceuticals are the best choice. Very recently, I got very sick. I tried pretty much every natural remedy available - acupuncture, herbs, tinctures, epsom salt baths, something called the wet sock treatment, homeopathy - you name it, I tried it. I kept getting worse. When I started taking antibiotics, I started getting better right away (although, unsurprisingly, I did experience some nasty side effects). I hate how overused antibiotics are in our society, but when you need them, you need them. I will also admit that there have been times when I've had a headache or cramps that were so bad, I gave in and took Tylenol or Advil. (Although, since I have discovered cramp bark tincture and raspberry leaf tea, I haven't needed NSAIDs for cramps). I am lucky in that I don't have any diseases or chronic conditions that require that I take drugs regularly to stay alive. In those situations, I am all for pharmaceuticals. Some people also require daily medications for psychological conditions in order to function properly in society.

People who dismiss all western medications for all conditions piss me off as much as people who dismiss all natural remedies (and yes, they truly piss me off). We live in a time when we have the benefit of thousands of years of experience with natural remedies as well as modern technology and medicine. They each have their place. I am grateful for herbs, and I am grateful for antibiotics - when they're needed. I think vaccinations are awesome (hooray for never having to worry about smallpox or polio!). I think acupuncture is astonishing. Why limit ourselves to one narrow concept of health and healing?


****SAFETY NOTICE****
Please note that herbs have major effects on your body, as do pharmaceuticals. Be careful when taking herbs. Keep track of all that you are taking on a regular basis. If you ever have any questions, talk to a medical professional who has been educated in herbalism. There are some nasty drug/herb interactions, so if your health care provider puts you on medications, stop taking your herbs unless you've confirmed with them that it is safe to continue. Please don't put yourself at risk.

6 comments:

  1. All i know about herbal medicines all are safe and no side effects. Here in my town most of the people here relies on herbs medicines mostly found in the bush.
    Though your post were truly informative.


    Best regards,
    Home Remedies

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading and commenting, Home Remedies.

    I have to say, however, that herbal medicines absolutely do have the potential for side effects.

    All herbs cause chemical reactions in the body. Some of them are good, but some are bad. In my experience, when used correctly, herbal remedies have fewer side effects than western pharmaceuticals, but there is *always* the potential for side effects any time you put something in your body.

    Licorice, for example, can cause high blood pressure. Marshmallow root can slow or block the body's ability to absorb certain nutrients, which can lead to conditions such as iron deficiency anemia. Even benign herbs like mint and ginger can cause acid reflux. If you use the wrong herb for a condition, you can make the condition worse. Some herbs, such as Digitalis purperia, are safe only for very specific and serious illnesses, and only in very small does, but are deadly when consumed in any other circumstance. Some herbs, like aconite, require special preparation in order to be safe for use. Some herbs are safe for most people but can cause a pregnant woman to miscarry. Some herbs can be addictive. Any herb can cause an allergic reaction, which can range from minor irritation to the potentially deadly anaphylactic shock.

    Just because something is natural and comes from the earth doesn't guarantee that it is safe or that it will have no side effects. When taking herbs, it is always a good idea to consult with someone who has trained extensively in the use and preparation of herbal remedies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natural medicines is better than Western.Natural medicines has no side effects so we can use it without any scare.
    -neti pots

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Alan, I would encourage you to read my comment in response to Home Remedies, as well as my new post which is about the side effects of natural remedies. http://gu-qi.blogspot.com/2011/08/side-effects-of-natural.html

    ReplyDelete