Wednesday, January 13, 2010

A Brief Introduction

Qi: (also spelled "Chi") Pronounced like Chee. Simply put, in Chinese Medicine, qi is the energy present in all living things that enables them to function. It is sometimes called the "essence."
Gu Qi: Pronounced like Goo Chee (also like the overpriced, Italian designer brand Gucci). Gu qi is the energy we get from food and drink. It is also referred to as "acquired qi."

Why name my blog after a concept that few Americans have heard of? Simple - because of the absolute importance gu qi has in our health and happiness and because of my new-found passion for food.

A year ago, I ate for convenience rather than nutrition. I filled my body with caffeine, high fructose corn syrup, trans-fats, and all sorts of other additives. I could frequently be found at fast food establishments (though I eschewed McDonald's, Burger King, and Wendy's in favor of Subway, Quiznos, Burgermaster, and Taco Bell. I had standards), or eating pizza, frozen meals, or boxed macaroni and cheese. I drank soda like it was water and ate massive amounts of candy. I drank several beers a week. Occasionally, I would cook an actual meal - usually one involving lots of cheese and simple sugars, with the occasional broccoli, carrots, and salad to make me feel like I was eating well. I exercised a little, and I couldn't understand why I was overweight.

I had been experiencing stomach problems for a while and taking massive amounts of antacids, but in March of '09, I began having stabbing pain in my stomach and lower esophagus that were debilitating. I went to see an acupuncturist who treated me and told me to go to a medical doctor because I could have an ulcer. My doctor told me that I had
gastritis, inflammation of the stomach, and that I would have to make drastic changes to my diet in order for it to heal. First and foremost, I had to entirely cut out caffeine and alcohol. He strongly recommended that I change my diet to consist solely of protein, complex carbohydrates, and vegetables, along with some low-acidic fruit. No sugar, no dairy, no spicy foods, nothing carbonated, and no acidic or sour foods. Oy! I had to change almost 100% of my diet, a prospect that was daunting, but my alternative was pain so severe that I could barely function.

The first few weeks were the most difficult, mostly because of caffeine and sugar withdrawal. Once I got through that (the hardest thing I've ever done!), I noticed that I had more energy and felt better. Shockingly, I found that the food I was eating, though it required time and preparation, was more delicious than any of the junk I had been eating before. I learned that vegetables are delicious, and fruit is divine. Who knew? Then the pounds started melting off. People kept asking me what my secret was. When I told them about my change in diet, most of them shook their heads and said they could never make those same changes. They had been looking for an easy fix - not a lifestyle change. Over the course of 9 months, I lost about 50 pounds and dropped three sizes, and I'm still losing weight, though it has slowed down now that I'm in a healthy range. My stomach, while not perfect, feels much better, and I have been able to re-introduce certain previously-verboten foods into my diet (most notably chocolate).

That was just the first step in a drastic change in my relationship with food. I became interested in nutrition and in eating well. My foray into nutrition lead me to a couple of books which have changed my outlook even more.
The Omnivore's Dillema by Michael Pollan, and Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. In addition to what I'm learning as an acupuncture student, these books have made it abundantly clear that I need to make more changes: to eat locally and sustainably grown food.

This blog is a place to share my experiences as I foray into the exciting world of local food, and the connections between food, Chinese Medicine, and spirituality.

No comments:

Post a Comment