Saturday, March 20, 2010

Happy Ostara

Two posts in one day? What is the world coming to??? I guess that's what happens when I am free from the burden of finals.

Today is Ostara, the spring equinox, the first day of spring. A lot of Easter traditions come from this Pagan holiday - specifically the eggs and the bunny, two potent fertility symbols. According to lore, Ostara is the day the Goddess and God get it on and conceive... the God (he gets reborn in nine months on the winter solstice). This is the perfect time for new endeavors, and of course, it's a great time for sex if you have someone special.

My original plan for the day was to go to the garden store, buy loads of gardening supplies and begin my experimental vegetable garden on my extremely small balcony that only gets partial sun. After all, today is all about growth and seeds becoming something new. Alas, my back decided it wanted none of that and has been killing me all day. I guess my little garden will have to wait until I am able to bend over again. I have been online for a good deal of the day perusing gardening websites and blogs, getting ideas and trying to figure out how best to use the very limited space I have. I wish my cat didn't like to eat plants so much, or I would try an indoor garden as well.

Tomorrow, I will be having dinner with my parents, and my mom is going to give me a bunch of pots that she and my dad aren't using. Hooray for free pots! Figuring out how not to spend more money than I have on this garden is just as much work as gardening will be.

2 comments:

  1. We had a family garden planning session yesterday :-)

    I hope finals went well (I'm sure they did!) and your back feels better soon. I can't wait to hear more about your gardening endeavors. I'm sure I'll learn something!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have likely checked these out already, BUT... we all know I tend to put in my two-cents anyway. I just ordered some seeds from Botanical Interests (I think they're based in Broomfield, Co, so already they have Brownie points), and they have a packet of edible kitty garden seeds (edible plants, mind you, not edible kitties ;-) ). They also have lovely information on the packets, and plenty of other flower & vegetable seeds. I also like Seeds of Change, and have had luck with the seeds from both companies each year I planted them. Here's to Ostara! (And your back feeling better.)

    ReplyDelete