Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Vegan Pesto

Tonight, my roommate and I made vegan pesto for dinner. I was a little skeptical. After all, parmesan cheese is one of the key ingredients in pesto. In fact, I hadn't been able to eat pesto in ages because I'm avoiding dairy.

I shouldn't have doubted. The recipe was simple, quick, and amazingly delicious. We roasted about 2 bulbs of garlic with olive oil and salt, and used that instead of the raw garlic. Due to an... incident (my roommate decided that toasted pine nuts would be delicious, and they would have been... if we hadn't left them in the toaster oven until they were charred. Oops), we only had about half the pine nuts called for, so we made up the difference with almonds. The combination was surprisingly delicious. The only thing I would do differently next time is to add a small amount of lemon juice. We ate the sauce on whole wheat spaghetti, and it was an awesome meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment