Monday, June 14, 2010

Canning

E and I made strawberry jam yesterday, and it's amazing.
Washington has a short window when the best strawberries in the universe are available, and we took advantage of that. We used local, organic, delicious strawberries, and local, organic honey to make the jam, which incidentally, was really simple. It's a little on the runny side, but otherwise, it's perfect. It makes me absurdly happy that I'll have local June strawberries available to eat all year. There is something very satisfying about canning, and I hope to do more jams this summer. I'm really looking forward to canning Ranier cherries when they're at the peak of their season. Yum.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, canning... oh, fresh jam!! You are so lucky to live where the best canning and pie-ing fruit is abundant.

    I have done bunches of canning over the years, mainly in flurries. When Sasha was a baby, I made wild plum jam, mustang (wild) grape jam, and dewberry (wild blackberry) jam. Canned it all!

    Lately, I have been trying to make smaller batches of jam and marmalade so we can just keep it in a jar in the 'fridge instead of canning it. Never tried it with honey... do you add pectin in some form to get it to thicken up a bit?

    ReplyDelete