Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Help Save the Ecology Program at my Nephew's School

The Pepsi Refresh Everything program is giving away money to some awesome programs. My nephew's school is in the running to get $25K to keep their ecology program running. They're currently 33rd place, but only the top 10 get money. If you help out and vote for this, you'll be supporting a public school in Chicago (the majority of the students are from minority and low-income families). This program is particularly relevant in light of the BP fiasco. Regardless of whether you want to plug the oil leak with BP executives or Sarah Palin, this is something that kids can benefit from for their entire lives. I know I wish I'd learned more about ecology as a kid.

The program has a heavy focus on gardening and teaching the kids how to eat well. They get hands on experience in the edible garden and get to eat the fruits of their labors. If they win, the money will go toward the salary of the teacher, putting up a greenhouse, and paying for gardening supplies.
So please, please, please vote for this program. (It's easy, just click the following link and hit the Vote button). Unless you request it, Pepsi won't send you any emails, so you don't have to worry about spam. refresheverything.com/watersecology

Please pass this to anyone you think might be willing to help.

Thank you so much!

3 comments:

  1. I voted! Awesome project.

    In 1968, my friends and I started the first-ever ecology club at our Jr. High school. We went door-to-door in our history teacher's apartment complex, collecting aluminum and newspapers to recycle. In Houston back then, the "reclamation center" was on the other side of town (a verrrrrrry long drive for my mom), and they barely knew what we were up to with our soda cans and papers.

    So heck yeah, I voted for your nephew's school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Pentalia!

    I love that you started an ecology club in the 60s. With such a cool mom, it's no wonder Sasha turned out as awesome as she did!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, thanks! I think she's pretty awesome, too.

    ReplyDelete