Sunday, September 19, 2010

Black Beans and Rice with Kale

I have a confession to make: I don't like leafy greens. When needed, I can choke down some spinach salad or other green, but I won't enjoy it. It's hard to admit this to people who are health conscious. My friends and classmates talk about greens like they're the second coming, and when I say I don't like them, they react like I've uttered the most heinous blasphemy. Unfortunately, greens are extremely good for you and are chock full of vitamins and minerals that your body needs. At times my body even craves them, even though my brain says, "ick." So what's a girl to do when she knows she needs to eat them, but she would really rather eat sawdust?

The answer is remarkably simple: disguise them. Mix them up with other food until you can't taste them any more.

The following recipe is one of my successful attempts to get greens into my diet without offending my poor overly-sensitive taste buds.

Black Beans and Rice with Kale:


2 cups rice uncooked (I like Jasmine for this recipe, but do whatever works for you)
water to cook rice
1 can black beans (or the equivalent in soaked black beans - normally I wouldn't use the canned stuff, but I had a can sitting in my pantry, and I decided to get rid of it)
1/2 large yellow onion chopped
1 clove garlic (or more if you're so inclined) minced
1/2 a bunch of kale (I used 5 or 6 large leaves)
salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste
olive oil
approximately 1 tsp lime juice

Cook the rice according to the directions.
Steam the kale for a few minutes until bright green and wilted (my rice cooker has a steam tray, which I like using because all of the vitamins that would normally disappear into the water and get thrown out drip right into the rice)
Chop the cooked kale into small pieces
In a medium sized pot, saute garlic and onion until onion is clear
Add the kale to the pot and saute for a minute or so
Add the black beans (You can add the liquid in the can if so desired. It makes the dish a little mushier, which I like)
Add salt, pepper, cayenne, and lime juice and mix
Once the beans are hot and the mixture is seasoned to your liking, take off the heat and add to the rice.
Thoroughly mix
Enjoy.

3 comments:

  1. Also tasty, though I think not your thing at the moment: grilled cheese with kale in it. Ideally sourdough and sharp, sharp cheddar. Even E likes it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, that sounds delicious! I miss grilled cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, greens can be tricky to get tasting right. We steam them here, and it's the most likely-to-succeed form of cooking them that we have found. But really, it has so much to do with how the grower chose to harvest. When they are too mature before they're picked, they can be bitter. I think there's also something about the growing temperature too, but I'm too sleepy to remember that right now.

    Mixing 'em in with other stuff is brilliant! I sometimes cut 'em into 1" pieces and put them in soup, but I'll have to try the rice thing.

    ReplyDelete