Sunday, September 26, 2010

Homemade Hummus

It's amazing how much time I've spent in the kitchen over the past week. I used to be the sort of person who only went to the kitchen to microwave things.

My acupuncturist told me just over a month ago that she thinks I have a gluten intolerance and needed to cut gluten out of my diet entirely. I gave myself a little time to binge on my favorite gluteny foods (and binge I did, oh my). Last Sunday, I officially started my gluten free diet. Due to my body's utter hatred of dairy, I have cut out all dairy as well - even in chocolate.

Fortunately, there are tons of gluten free (GF) resources out there, so I haven't really been hurting. The best thing about this change is that I have been forced to do more cooking than before. It's possible to get all sorts of pre-made GF foods, but they are usually absurdly expensive. Gluten has a nasty habit of sneaking into all sorts of things (like soy sauce), as does dairy, so it's important to make sure I know every single ingredient that goes into my food. The easiest way of doing that is for me to cook everything.

Hummus is a naturally GF food, and I'll be honest, I don't think they make it with gluten anywhere. Despite the fact that I could just go out to the store and pick up a tub of it, I decided to make my own. My favorite brand runs $5-6, so I figured it would be a fun experiment, and it would save me some money. It turned out amazingly well. In fact, I think it's the most delicious hummus I've ever tasted.

Hummus

1 c dried garbanzo beans (and 1 square Kombu)
1 Tbs tahini (see below for homemade tahini instructions)
1 clove garlic, chopped
lemon juice to taste
salt to taste
olive oil

Soak garbanzo beans overnight
drain beans and cover with fresh water, throw kombu into the pot
Bring to a boil
Reduce to a simmer, and simmer for 30 min - 2 hours until beans are soft
drain beans saving liquid
let cool
put in food processor with a small amount of olive oil, and all other ingredients, and blend
If the mixture is dry, add reserved liquid until it's as moist as you want
If you want a creamier mixture, add olive oil
Blend until desired texture

Seriously, it's super easy. You can add whatever add-ins you want.


Home Made Tahini

Sesame seeds
olive oil (1/4 cup per 1 cup of seeds)

Preheat oven to 350
Put seeds in oven safe container, and put in oven for 5-10 minutes. Mix frequently. Don't let them brown.
Let cool
Put in food processor with oil
Process until desired consistency. I like it to be pretty liquidy, so I processed the heck out of it.

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm... hummus. There's a little restaurant around here that serves their hummus with chopped pimientos mixed in. Who'da thought that would make for addictively delicious hummus? Trust me, it's amazing.

    Thanks for the super recipes!

    ReplyDelete