Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Community Day

It is an annual tradition at my school to cancel classes one day in April for Community Day. Ostensibly it's a day when students, faculty, and staff come together to have fun. This year, they are having Rock Band, and volley ball, among other things. While I appreciate the idea of trying to create community at school, I have opted out of attending. I feel that I already have a strong group of friends among my classmates, and our friendships get stronger daily.

Instead of using up gas to drive 32 miles round trip, I am taking the day to nurture myself. I savored the opportunity to begin a book by my favorite author that I hadn't yet read. I sat in a patch of sunshine on the floor, with my Mico kitty in my lap, stroking his sun-warmed fur, and listening to him purr. I will work on my garden, which is doing remarkably well so far. I will clean my tub and clean out my refrigerator (not fun, but certainly necessary). I will go for a walk in Discovery Park when it gets warmer, enjoying the return of the sun after what seems like an eternity of rain. I will spend the evening with close friends, being nerds and playing D&D. And I will gleefully anticipate the arrival of Atropa Belladonna whom I will see tomorrow.

I can't think of a better way to spend my day, and I am filled with a sense of contentment.

No comments:

Post a Comment