Saturday, April 10, 2010

My First Clinic Shift

I had my first clinic observation shift this morning, and it was amazing. I had been thinking that it would profoundly suck to have to be at clinic by 8:45AM on Saturdays, but if today is any indication, it's not going to be a problem at all.

As an observer, or secondary, my job is to assist the primary (the student who is doing the intake and inserting the needles). My tasks today included changing the linens in the room, filling out the superbills (a form used for insurance billing), doing moxa, getting supplies for the room, and swabbing points with alcohol. While the tasks themselves weren't very exciting, getting to have contact with patients was fantastic. I truly wanted to help the patients with their problems, and it was wonderful being part of their healing process. Being in clinic today made it 100% clear that I'm going into the right profession.

Everything I've learned until today has been theory. Today, I got to see acupuncture in action, and I got to be part of figuring out a treatment plan for the patients (albeit a small one. I've only been at this for 6 months). My primary seems like he's going to be great to work with. He's very helpful and understanding of the fact that this is all new to me, he's open to things that I have to contribute, and he's got a good sense of humor. My supervisor (the licensed acupuncturist who, well... supervises us) also seems great, and I've only heard positive things about her.

Basically, I think that I would be content doing this all day every day. I know I'm extra enthusiastic because it's shiny and new, but frankly, today didn't feel like work.

2 comments:

  1. Allow me to say *squee!* and do a dance of joy for you. That is quite fantastic to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the dance of joy :)

    ReplyDelete