Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Bean and Yam Slow Cooker Chili

This quarter at school is going to be challenging. Now when I say challenging, I mean that I'm already burned out, and it's only the 2nd week. When things get stressful, I have a tendency to get lots of takeout. Not only is that expensive and unhealthy, it's boring because now that I'm gluten free, my options are seriously limited. Plus, I'm less likely to be eating organic foods if I'm going out. I have decided that I need to become friends with my slow cooker, and I need to make food in large quantities for leftovers.

My first plan was to do chili. I perused the web for a recipe that was vegetarian, tasty looking, used dried beans instead of canned, and was prepared in a slow cooker instead of on the stove. Ultimately I found nothing. Undeterred, I decided to make up my own recipe and pray for the best. I don't like to toot my own horn, but damn, it was goooooood. Plus, I have lots of leftovers!

Here it is - I actually measured things out so that I could write up a real recipe this time!

Bean and Yam Slow Cooker Chili


1 cup dry black beans that have soaked over night
1/2 cup dry adzuki beans (it is not necessary to soak these before cooking)
vegetable oil
1 large red pepper, diced
1 medium yellow onion, diced
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
2 medium sized tomatoes, diced
1 yam, diced (if it's not organic, peel it first)
1 6oz can tomato paste
1.5 oz dark chocolate (I used Theo 70% because it's delicious, organic, and fair trade)
1.5 tsp salt (you may want to add more - I tend to make things not very salty)
2 tsp chili powder - I used Simply Organic. It contains cloves and coriander, which really contributed to the amazing flavor of this dish.
just under 1/4 tsp cayenne (add more if you like things spicy)
1/2 a cinnamon stick
1.5 cups water
1/2 cup beer - I used Bards gluten free beer. You could probably use any beer you want. Stout is supposed to be amazing in chili.
1 T rice vinegar
~2 inch square of kombu

Saute peppers, onions, garlic, and seasoning (except the cinnamon) in the vegetable oil until the onions are clear

Combine all ingredients in the slow cooker. Cook on high for 6-7 hours. If possible, check on the liquid level periodically so that it doesn't all evaporate. If needed, add a little more water.

Pull out the cinnamon stick. If there's still a big chunk of kombu, pull that out too. Mine seems to have melted into the chili, which is great because seaweed is really good for you!

Yields - several servings. I think I'll get 4-5 meals out of it if I don't share.


In order to make sure you're getting a complete protein, serve with your favorite cornbread.

5 comments:

  1. I'm making this tonight! Er....I'm shopping for this tonight! And making it tomorrow! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you got creative with the flavorings... chocolate, cinnamon, rice vinegar, etc. I have a great vegetarian recipe, developed over many years, and I see that I will have to experiment with elements from yours.

    Actually, I have been working on a white chili, which might benefit from a bit of white chocolate and many of your other ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sasha, you'll have to tell me what you think of it.

    Pentalia, if you come up with a good white chili recipe, I'd love to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. beer, chocolate and seaweed - wow - you are indeed my kind of cook! I definitely plan to make this and will let you know how it goes! Love that you used adzuki beans - they are too often under appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ps - this is the best description of a serving size i've seen yet : )

    ReplyDelete