Sunday, January 23, 2011

Scrambled Eggs

Scrambled eggs are my absolute favorite way to prepare eggs. When done right, they are fluffy, creamy and melt on your tongue. Unfortunately, despite the fact that they are amazingly simple to prepare, they are rarely done correctly. It's common to get rubbery, over-cooked scrambled eggs that make you wonder why anyone would want to eat their eggs like that.

Scrambled eggs can be eaten plain, or you can get crazy with additions. It all depends on your taste. The trick to making them perfect is to cook them on low. Not medium-low, not almost-low. Low. The lowest setting your stove has is probably just right. I like to cook my additions before I add the eggs. Tonight, I sauteed up some garlic and onions (I could have easily added peppers, broccoli, ham, bacon, corn, or whatever else sounded good). When they were done cooking, I lowered the temperature, waited a minute for the coils to cool down, and then I added my egg mixture. With a spatula, I kept scraping the pan and mixing the eggs. You don't want to let your eggs brown. Because it's cooked at a low temperature, it may take a little time to cook. The more eggs you use, the longer it will take. They're done when there's no more liquid, but the eggs still look just a tiny bit wet.

You can get a little crazy with your egg mixture if you like. You should beat the eggs with a fork until blended. Then you add herbs, spices, and cheese. Tonight, I went with salt, pepper, and nutritional yeast (it provides the eggs with a cheesy flavor without adding any dairy). I'm also a big fan of adding herbs. You can use rosemary, dill, thyme, basil, or go crazy and throw in some curry powder. Whatever flavors you love can be added to your eggs. Some people add milk to their scrambled eggs. I don't. The eggs are perfect as they are.

I'm of the opinion that fresh eggs are the tastiest, and I only buy eggs that come from free range chickens. I get mine from Skagit River Ranch. I've been to the farm and seen that the chickens are allowed to go wherever they want and are well cared for. Conveniently, they have a booth at my farmers market, so I don't have to drive all the way out to Sedro Woolley. Although they are more expensive than the eggs you would find in your grocery store, they taste way better and make a wonderful treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment