Saturday, January 1, 2011

Reflections on the New Year

One of my new year's resolutions is to post to this blog more often. Over the past couple of months, I really let things slide. But it's a new day, a new month, and a new year. Time to get on with my life.

My past year wasn't the most eventful year of my life. Mostly, I went to school. I went to LA a couple of times to visit my now ex. I spent an amazing week on a goat farm gaining a much deeper appreciation of the land, and of the food we are blessed to eat. I went to Chicago for Christmas to visit my brothers, my sister in law, and my adorable 5 year old nephew. Many of my friends had profound life experiences - both wonderful and tragic, and I got to be with them through good and bad.

There is something to be said for an uneventful year. Of course, I had my ups and downs, but overall, it was smooth sailing. I've been able to grow slowly, instead of being thrown into situations that force grand epiphanies and bring about huge change. I was able to allow the lessons of the previous years to sink in and become part of my daily life without much interruption. I am grateful for that opportunity.

In the year to come, I hope for good things. I'll be taking a major exam in the next few months that will allow me to be a primary student in the acupuncture clinic (meaning I'll be able to needle patients with supervision). I plan to go to Italy over the summer for an herb class. I'll be the maid of honor in my best, and oldest friend's wedding. Most importantly, I intend to spend as much time with loved ones as possible. One of the biggest lessons I learned this past year is that as important as school is, the things that make life worth living are people and the relationships you forge with them. Life is short, and the time we have with the people we care about is limited. Why waste it?

This year, I am going to do my best to live my life to the fullest. 2010 was a wonderful year that enabled me to reflect. I want to make 2011 a year to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment