Sunday, June 19, 2011

Let's Clear this Whole Glutard Thing Up

It's interesting how many people are unreceptive to the concept of food intolerance. Because it isn't well understood (even by the medical community, although more research is being done on it than ever before), people assume that people who claim they have an intolerance are just making things up, or that it's all in their heads. I've had family members who don't believe that I am gluten intolerant. I know other "glutards" (a term coined by my best friend, Lillian) who have had similar problems. One woman's parents even asked her when she was going to grow out of her gluten-free "phase." I've also had people inform me that there's no way I'm allergic to gluten.

To adress that last comment, it's true. I am definitely not allergic to gluten. Food allergies are not the same thing as food intolerance. An allergy is when your immune system essentially overreacts to a foreign (but normally benign) substance. Your basophils (a type of white blood cell) release histamines, which cause any number of reactions, including hives, sneezing, runny nose, red, watery eyes, and in the worst cases, anaphylactic shock. A food allergy isn't all that different from a pollin allergy. I know people who sneeze when they eat bread because of a wheat allergy, or who get rashes on their arms when they eat gluten. Of course, we all know about the people who swell up and die when they eat peanuts. Allergies can be tested somewhat reliably, so people are far more receptive to the existence of allergies than intolerances.

Food intolerance is a tricky beast. A food intolerance is when the body reacts poorly to a certain food, or when they body can't properly process a certain food. The symptoms of food intolerance may seem completely unrelated to the digestive system, but they can be determined by eliminating a certain food or group of foods from the diet. If the symptoms go away when you stop eating the food for an extended period, and they come back when you reintroduce it, then it's a good sign that you have a food intolerance. Some common symptoms of food intolerance are gas, bloating, migraines and other head aches, fatigue, weakness, and systemic (meaning system-wide, or body-wide) inflammation, which can cause muscle pain, and nerve problems. Some people even have emotional reactions to foods, including sadness, irritability, and anger. People can be intolerant to just about any food, although gluten and dairy are the most common. People can be intolerant to nightshades (including tomatos, peppers, potatoes and eggplant), soy, and corn, among others.

The first time I ate gluten after I'd been gluten free for a while, I had a strange stomach ache (it was neither indigestion nor nausea), a headache, mental fogginess (i.e. the inability to think clearly), and extreme fatigue. My ulnar neuropathy, which hadn't caused me problems in years, came back in full force, my low back pain flared up, and my symptoms of gastritis came back after being gone for months. When I'm gluten free, my ulnar neuropathy doesn't flare, my low back pain is almost nil, and my gastritis is a thing of the past. Although I definitely miss some of the wonderful gluten-full foods out there, my desire to feel good far outweighs my desire to eat a donut.

I also want to clear up the confusion that people have about Celiac disease and gluten intolerance. Celiac disease is an auto-immune disorder which causes the cilia of the small intestine to be damaged when gluten is ingested. If these are damaged, it makes it difficult for the body to absorb vital nutrients. It is a very serious condition which may be asymptomatic, or it may have any number of symptoms, including gas, bloating, fatigue, mineral and vitamin deficiencies (such as calcium, iron, and B12), a large appetite with no weight gain, or unexplained weight gain, to name a few. It is common for people with Celiac to be extremely sensitive to gluten, to the point where they may not be able to tolerate food prepared in a kitchen where foods containing gluten have been prepared. It is also common for them to have a reaction to gluten that lasts for 3 days (the amount of time it takes for gluten to leave the body). People who are gluten intolerant may have Celiac disease, but they may not. The only way to know for sure is to be tested after eating gluten for 4 weeks (something I'm not too keen on doing, given how gluten makes me feel. I can't think of any time in my life when being fatigued, brain dead, and in pain for a month will be convenient). If someone tests negative for Celiac disease, it does not mean that they don't have a gluten intolerance; it just means that they don't have Celiac.

For those of you who may still be skeptical, I'll leave you with this. Even if an intolerance is "all in someone's head" (which, odds are, it's not), if they feel better when they don't eat something, then their choice not to eat it should be respected. Most people who have special dietary needs are pretty understanding that their food requirements can be a giant pain in the ass to those who can eat anything. I am always prepared to bring my own food to parties or dinners (and if you ask nicely, I'll even bring enough to share), and I never expect people to accomodate my diet, though it's always a pleasant surprise when they do. If I ask what's on the menu, or if I read a label, it's not because I'm picky or trying to be disrespectful; I just want to make sure I'm not going to be miserable (and in the case of dairy, I get so gassy that really, it's more disrespectful of me not to read labels!). I don't bitch and whine when I can't eat something (well, usually), and I don't begrudge others their right to eat whatever they hell they want. A little empathy can go a long way. After all, it sucks to not be able to partake in a freshly baked loaf of bread or the pizza that everyone else is eating. And by the way, if I could choose to make my gluten problem go away, you can bet everything you have that I would do it in a heartbeat.

http://www.celiac.org/

6 comments:

  1. Go you! I think you have a very fair and, uh, tolerant approach to your food intolerances. After about 15 years of living with food sensitivities, I way understand what you're going through. I'm raising my bowl of oatmeal to you!

    Carolee Bateson-Koch's Allergy Detox Diet (Allergies: Disease in Disguise) has helped me tremendously, but still not for fresh dairy, soy, meat, or eggs. After 12 years of abstinence, I can go to the local ice cream place and order their one flavor of frozen yogurt.

    But now I can't stop eating this stuff, and I'm addicted to a sugary, empty-caloried food. Gack. There is a silver lining to the cloud of food sensitivities, and that's learning to be very aware of what you're eating and what it's doing to your body.

    My hubbie and I are reading Joel Fuhrman's books (Eat Right America), and we are working on revising our already vegetarian eating habits by minimizing grains and sugar, and maximizing fruits and vegetables.

    And one more thing... you, who are eating a healthy diet from your 20s, will not have the debilitating experience of detoxifying your body/cells when you're older and trying to straighten out your diet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do an awsome job of clarifying the differences between allergies, Celiac, and gluten intolerance. Coming from a family of glutards in various forms (Dad's a Celiac, Mom is intolerant, and I never stood a chance), I can back up everything you're saying about how much gluten can hurt those of us who can't handle it. My arthritis, IBS, and migraines have improved dramatically on a GF diet. Granted, people who start a GF diet because it's trendy aren't necessarily doing themselves any favors -- but when it helps a person feel better, more power to 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for this stream of well-articulated consciousness. It is very likely that my gluten intolerance is Celiac disease, but as you stated above, I am unwilling to go through the hell of damaging my small intestine (and my physical and emotional well being) to be tested. After almost a year of being gluten (and virtually misery) free, I still find myself feeling very uncomfortable when faced with comments such as, "Isn't there ANYTHING you can eat?". Unfortunately this social discomfort has caused me to eat things I knew were risky and end up with days of agony to save myself that immediate embarrassment.

    I have found that I am extremely sensitive to gluten, to the point that I can't seem to track my reaction down to anything except kissing my boyfriend after he's eaten something with gluten in it. It's absolutely miserable. Although I must admit that my boyfriend is so understanding that, many times, it makes up for everything else.

    I wanted to thank you for addressing the issue that some folks treat unwillingness to expose yourself to the negative effects of ingesting gluten as "just being picky." Even if they don't say it, it is easy to tell that others are often offended by you not trying food that they worked hard to prepare. But what they don't know is that I probably feel exponentially worse because not only do I not get to try this delicious meal in front of me, but I also have to deal with the embarrassment and unwanted attention I get from avoiding it. I've never been one to complain about food or to be picky about what someone else has put in front of me. In fact, I have always been the most gracious guest at any dinner party giving endless praise and thanks. This whole transition into saying "no thanks" has been a difficult one for me. I've tried to replace the gratitude for the meal with gratitude for the invite, but I know that people still feel uncomfortable about my inability to really "join in" completely.

    I also start to feel like sometimes I am not invited to dinner gatherings because my kindest-of-heart friends are worried about having to accommodate me by selecting a gluten-free-friendly restaurant or preparing an extra entree at dinner. I wish those friends would believe me when I say that I'd rather show up and drink wine and have the company than for them to go out of their way to accommodate me (or not invite me for lack of energy to accommodate me).

    So thanks again for this great post. It's nice for me to know that others out there are dealing with some of the same things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. I hope you don't mind that I linked to this post on my blog.

    http://inspirationaleating.blogspot.com/2011/06/rolling-with-punches-including-gluten.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was really well explained. Thanks for that. I'm not really familiar with food intolerance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the comments!

    Wildflower, it does seem like at times the worst thing about having a food intolerance is how other people perceive it. I wish you the best of luck in your journey and hope that your friends will keep inviting you to dinners!

    ReplyDelete